Pregnancy Update from Jen: Week 28

(Editor’s Note: this is a guest post from my sweet wife Jen, giving a fairly comprehensive roundup of where we are right now, and very specific ways that you can be praying for us. She will see any comment you post on this page)

We are so thankful to have made it to yet another milestone in the pregnancy!  Words cannot express how gracious God has been to us throughout this entire pregnancy.  If born this week, our baby’s survival rate is now over 90%, which is great, but he would still be at risk for many complications and would have to stay in the NICU for about 2 months.

I had an ultrasound today and baby is now head down resting on top of the “funnel” in the cervix. The funnel in the top opening of the cervix (which should normally be closed) is now almost as wide as the baby’s head and open right down to the cerclage. If he pushes his little head down into the funnel, he will be right on top of the stitch which will further weaken the membranes .  The only thing keeping our child in is that 5mm wide cerclage band holding the bottom of the cervix closed and of course the hand of God!   I was having contractions on Friday that were quite regular on the monitor (6 in 30 mins). I was given Ibuprofen for 48 hours which helped control them.  Thankfully, none showed up on the monitor today (Monday).  They were probably caused by the combination of baby kicking the cerclage, thus irritating my uterus, and/or the high level of amniotic fluid present (polyhydramnios).  We are not sure why the fluid is so high. It was 29 cm today and the range should be 8-25cm.  In most cases the reasons are unknown, though 20 percent of cases could mean a congenital defect of some sort.  Please pray that this is not the case.

The following is taken from the March of Dimes website:

Polyhydramnios may increase the risk of pregnancy complications including:

*Premature birth.

*PROM: Premature rupture of membranes.

*Placental abruption: This is a condition where the placenta partially or completely peels away from the uterine wall before birth.

*Stillbirth.

*Postpartum hemorrhage, which is severe bleeding after birth.

*Fetal malposition: The baby is not lying in a head-down position. This may mean that that the baby must be born by cesarean section.

I am already at risk for most of these because of the chorioangioma and almost nonexistent cervix.  We would ask that you continue to pray for our little one to stay in as long as possible and that additional complications will not arise.  In addition, I would ask that you please pray for my patience and sanity as I have been on bed rest 10 weeks and have not left this hospital room in 4 weeks! Also pray for David as he is juggling work and household responsibilities, traveling to see me every weekend, and trying to get some sleep now and then.  We couldn’t do this without the prayers and loving support of God’s people, and we thank you so much for upholding us through this journey.

I am a pastor, a husband, a father, and a lover of Jesus. I am also an unpredictable blogger, who can go for several years without blogging a thing, and then inexplicably write a book. Perhaps this is one of those times.

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Children, Faith
24 comments on “Pregnancy Update from Jen: Week 28
  1. Debbie Rogers says:

Jen and David, You have been and continue to be in my prayers. Yesterday at church when we were ending our greeting time with “God is good, all the time. And all the time, God is good”, you immediately came to mind. God has been so good to keep your son right where he is for this long, and I pray that He holds all of you in His hands, but especially that little boy so that he can stay put for a few more weeks!

• gale says:

Hi Jenny and David. You all have made it thru this far !! I am praying that the baby can get a little bigger & stronger for a few more weeks. I think of you guys often. I hope I get to see that beautifull baby some day soon. love & hugs to you all from me

2. Bryan Pittman says:

We continue to follow what’s going on and pray that things will only improve each day.

3. Makeda says:

You guys are in my prayers!

4. Thelma Collins says:

We are rejoicing in God’s mercy. Praying for all of you!!!

5. beth says:

i think of you guys often and try to pray whenever you come to mind. i know you thought i was crazy before b/c i said i was praying for 30 weeks. but i think your little boy might just prove even me wrong and stay in for even longer. hang in there jen. i think i’d go crazy 10 weeks on bedrest but you’re doing great.

6. Renae says:

You do not know me. I happened to see a post about this blog on a friend’s facebook status. I just felt moved by your story and want to let you know that you and your baby are in my prayers. Although my situations are very different from yours and cannot imagine all you are going through, I have been through several pregnancy complications and now have two beautiful miracles, and pray that God will continue to be with you and your little one.

7. Thomas says:

Sheryl and I continue to pray for all three of you, and we are praying in “retail” including David’s safe travels, patience for Jen and David, God’s Hand on the baby and for our Lord’s love to be seen in so many ways including the building of the family relationship as they trust in HIM together. Thank YOU, Lord for each and every day, in Jesus Name….Amen

8. Gary & Terry Lockman says:

David & Jen , you are in our prayers, it is amazing how far you have come through the grace of God and your faithfulness. You are a testimony to us during such a difficult time for you. Stay strong and hear Jesus calling daily.

9. Harley says:

Isaiah 41:13
    For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

10. Lynn Blair says:

“You created my inmost being; You knit me together n my mother’s womb.”Psalm 139.13

“My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast: I will sing and make music.” Psalm 57.7

“Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your meant” II Corinthians 8:11

My heart is full from reading these words of God. Don’t lose your faith, only trust in the will of the devine Creator who has His plan for good in your lives.” You both are a blessing to many others and I feel confident that He will bless you with an amazing little musical one who will be soooooooooo appreciated because of this difficulty in having him. God Bless you both.

11. Gale Prince says:

Hi Jen,
    We will be praying for you in our staff meeting this morning, as we always do, and individually as well.
    God bless!
    Gale

12. susan Porter says:

Tom and I add our prayers daily to the many others. I love the metaphor of us being grapevines; after the lush growth and plentiful fruit, the vinedresser carefully prunes the vines down to ugly knobby stumps, so the vines will grow back more plentiful and bring even plumper tasty grapes. That image has gotten me through a lot of “bad” things!
    Love,
    Susan

13. Cheryl Andrews says:

Jen and David:
    Our prayers are with you and God’s hand on you and your precious baby. We continue to pray God will give you more weeks so the baby grows, gains strength and continue to develop.
    God Bless,
    Cheryl and Andy

14. Terri Byers says:

Jen, I can only believe that our God is in ALL of this and that your “little Mr. Ridenhour” is to be special. Amen
    We pray for ya’ll every single day and send you “Mucho-Mucho Love ” 🙂
    Keep us up with all your news. I look for it so we know what’s happening.
    I have truly been praying for 7 mos. and will continue to do so.
    HUGS to you and David and little Mr.
    XO
    Terri & Jim

15. Emma and Al Anderson says:

Jen and David, Al and I pray for you every day.
    “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” Jer. 31:3

Emma and Al

16. MoDLin says:

You certainly are in our thoughts. I hope you are fortunate to hang in there a few more weeks. Best wishes to the three of you.

17. Marlene & John Housworth says:

–Dear Jen, David and God’s little miracle-

You are all in our prayers and we know the He has His Hand on His Miracle.
    Praying daily for Blessings from Above for your family.

John & Marlene

18. Jan and Fred Harris says:

David and Jen,
    I know that there are more people than you know that are praying for you and your baby. I also know that God is the author of all miracles.
    Please know that you are in our hearts and prayers continually.
    Jan and Fred

19. JennyRain says:

praying for y’all 🙂

20. Jen says:

Hi David and Jen,

I am friends with Marlise S., who asked for prayers a long time ago. Glad to see you’ve made it so far, Mama! You will all remain in our prayers– keep on keepin’ on!

21. […] Pregnancy Update from Jen: Week 28 August 2010 23 comments 3 […]